St. Louis Health Equipment Lending Program (St. Louis HELP) is a 501(C)(3) charity dedicated to securing and providing, free-of-charge, the health equipment necessary to help people in need.
What We Do
St. Louis HELP accepts donations of nearly every type of home medical equipment, in good working condition.
We revitalize and clean the equipment, and lend it to people in need or their caregivers.
What Is Home Medical Equipment?
Home Medical Equipment – HME – includes any item that enables a person to function better or more easily than they could without that item. Examples of HME equipment include:
· Manual Wheelchairs (no power wheelchairs or scooters)
· Walkers, Crutches and Canes
· Shower Chairs, Shower Stools, and Tub-Transfer Benches
· Portable Commodes
· Elevated Toilet Seats
· Shower, Tub and Wall Grab Bars
· Electric Hospital Beds
· Lift Chairs
· Reachers and Grabbers
Why Reuse Home Medical Equipment?
It is becoming harder and harder to get equipment. Supply shortages and difficulty securing these items as part of insurance, Medicaid or Medicare is pronounced.
Recycling and reuse of HME makes common sense.
Nine out of 10 rehabilitation nurses report difficulties securing this equipment, even when the person is in dire need.
Who We HELP
St. Louis HELP is available to all who have needs. Access to needed home medical equipment is crucial. HME devices are not luxury items but necessities. These tools empower people to control their lives and their futures. St. Louis HELP’s equipment lending program has been developed to assist individuals who have a variety of needs:
· Those who lack insurance
· Those whose insurance does not cover their equipment needs
· Individuals awaiting insurance company approval
· Those temporarily disabled by injury, illness or surgery
· Persons whose own equipment is in repair
· Visitors to the area who cannot bring their own equipment
· Terminally ill persons uncertain about their period of need
· Those interested in trying equipment before purchasing